(September 2017) The following bibliography lists the sources used by NBCRNA item writers to support questions on both the National Certification Examination (NCE) and Self-Evaluation Examination (SEE). Experts review this bibliography regularly and select sources to fit the content outline. Included in this list are links on the topic of professional issues in nurse anesthesia practice. Topics related to professional issues now appear on the NCE and SEE content outlines under General Principles of Anesthesia. See also the NCE Professional Practice Analysis (PPA) Executive Summary.
This bibliography represents sources currently used by NBCRNA's expert item writers. However, there have been other resources used in the past to write items that may still be active on the exam.
Note that in publishing this list we do not intend to endorse or promote the sale of any particular textbooks.
NCE/SEE FY 2018 Bibliography:
1. Barash PG, Cullen BF, Stoelting RK, et al. Clinical Anesthesia. Eighth edition. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer; 2017.
2. Chestnut DH, Wong CA, Tsen LC, et al. Chestnut's Obstetric Anesthesia: Principles and Practice. Fifth edition. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2014.
3. Coté CJ, Lerman J, Anderson BJ. Coté and Lerman's A Practice of Anesthesia for Infants and Children. Fifth edition. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2013.
4. Cousins MJ, Carr DB, Horlocker TT, et al. Cousins & Bridenbaugh's Neural Blockade in Clinical Anesthesia and Pain Medicine. Fourth edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008.
5. Davis PJ, Cladis FP, Motoyama EK. Smith's Anesthesia for Infants and Children. Eighth edition. St. Louis: Mosby; 2011.
6. Dorsch JA, Dorsch SE. Understanding Anesthesia Equipment. Fifth edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007.
7. Ehrenwerth J, Eisenkraft J, Berry J. Anesthesia Equipment: Principles and Applications. Second edition. St. Louis: Mosby; 2013.
8. Evers AS, Maze M, Kharasch ED. Anesthetic Pharmacology: Basic Principles and Clinical Practice. Second edition. Cambridge, UK: New York: Cambridge University Press; 2011.
9. Fleisher LA. Anesthesia and Uncommon Diseases. Sixth edition. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2012.
10. Flood P, Rathmell JP, Shafer S. Stoelting's Pharmacology & Physiology in Anesthetic Practice. Fifth edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2014.
11. Hadzic A. Hadzic's Peripheral Nerve Blocks and Anatomy for Ultrasound-Guided Regional Anesthesia. Second edition. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional; 2011.
12. Hall JE. Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology. 13th edition. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2015.
13. Hines RL, Marschall KE. Stoelting's Anesthesia and Co-existing Disease. Seventh edition. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2018.
14. Miller RD, Cohen NH, Eriksson LI, et al. Miller's Anesthesia (Vols. 1-2). Eighth edition. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2014.
15. Nagelhout JJ, Elisha S. Nurse Anesthesia. Sixth edition. Missouri: Elsevier; 2018.
16. Sandberg W, Urman R, Ehrenfeld J. The MGH Textbook of Anesthetic Equipment. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2010.
The following resource was selected by the NCE and SEE Exam Subcommittees to supplement the current bibliography on the topic of professional practice.
Specific topics (and all associated sublinks) identified from the site above include:
- AANA Document Definitions and Policies
- Code of Ethics
- Quality of Care in Anesthesia
- Supporting Documents in Anesthesia Practice
- Position Statements
- Policy Considerations
- Advisory Opinion
- Joint Position Statement
- Forms and Resources