- American Board of Anesthesiology. (2010). Booklet of Information: Certification and Maintenance of Certification. Raleigh, NC: American Board of Anesthesiology.
- Bailey J (2007) Recertification in Advanced Practice Nursing: General Trends and Current Practices. Promissor pages 1-15.
- Barger M, Camune B, Graves B, & Lamberto J. (2009). The past, present and future of assessing continuing competency in midwives. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 54 (5).
- Brennan, TA, Horwitz R, Duffy FD, Cassel CK, Goode LD, and & Lipner RS. (2004). The Role of Physician Specialty Board Certification Status in the Quality Movement 292(9)1038-1043.
- Burns, B. (2009). Continuing competency: what's ahead? J Perinat Neonatal Nurse, 23(3), 218-227; quiz 228-219.
- Byrne, M. and Waters, L. (2008). Continued Competence Leadership Forum: From Pieces to Policy, Post-Event White Paper. Denver, CO: Competency and Credentialing Institute.
- Choudry N, Fletcher RH, and S. Soumerai (2005) Systematic Review: the Relationship between Clinical Experience and Quality of Health Care. Ann Intern Med 142:260-273.
- Chung, KC, Clapham, Lalonde DH. (2011). Maintenance of Certification, Maintenance of Public Trust. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 127(2) 967-973.
- Glasser, M.A. (1981). Recertification and relicensure: a consumer's viewpoint. J Am Acad Dermatol, 4(1), 73-75.
- Lenburg, C.B. (nd) The framework, concepts and methods of the Competency Outcomes and Performance Assessment (COPA) Model.
- Levison W, Holmbe (2011) Maintenance of Certification: 20 Years Later. American Journal of Medicine 124(2) 180-185.
- Lundgren, B.S. (2002). Continuing competence in selected health care professions. Journal of Allied Health, 31:232-240.
- Melander, S., Kleinpell, R., & McLaughlin, R. (2007). EnsuFeigelson, E.B., & Frosch, W. (1977). Continuing education, recertification, and examination anxiety. Am J Psychiatry, 134(8), 869-873.
- Henderson, J.P. (2008)/ Practices and Requirements of Renewal Programs in Professional Licensure and Certification. Washington, DC: Institute for Credentialing Excellence.
- Holden, W.D. (1987). Professional Competence, Relicensure, and Recertification. In W. Langsley (Ed.), Recertification for Medical Specialists (pp. 197-201). Evanston, IL: American Board of Medical Specialties.
- Holmboe ES, Lipner R, Greiner, J. (2008) Assessing Quality of Care Knowledge Matters. JAMA 299(3) 338-340.
- Holmboe ES, Wang Y, Meehan TP, et al (2008) Association between Maintenance of Certification Examination Scores and Quality of Care for Medicare beneficiaries. Arch Intern Med 168(13)1396-1403.
- King, R.B. (1989). Challenges in Recertification. Surg Neurol, 32(6), 403-407.
- Lloyd, J.S., Langsley, D.G., & American Board of Medical Specialties. Committee on Study of Evaluation Procedures. (1987). Recertification for medical specialists. Evanston, IL: American Board of Medical Specialties.
- Institute of Medicine. (2010). The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health. Washington, DC: Institutes of Medicine.
- Institutes of Medicine. (2010). Redesigning Continuing Education in the Health Professions. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- Kak, N., Burkhalter B. and Cooper M. (2001). Measuring the Competence of healthcare provider. Operations research Issue paper 2(1) Bethesda MD. Published for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) by the Quality Assurance Project.
- Knapp, L.G. and Kendzel, J.G. (2009). Future Trends in Certification: The ICE Handbook. Washington, DC: Institute for Credentialing Excellence.
- Kruger J., Dunning D. (1991). Unskilled and Unaware of it: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 77(6) 1121-1134.
- National Certification Corporation. (2010). NCC Continuing Competence Initiative.
- National Commission for Certification of Anesthesiologist Assistants. (2010). Rules and Regulations: Certification Process for Anesthesiologist Assistants in the United States. Raliegh, NC: National Commission for Certification of Anesthesiologist Assistants, Inc.
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing. (2005). Meeting the ongoing challenge of continued competence.
- Norcini JJ, Kimball HR and Lipner RS. (2000). Certification and Specialization: Do they matter in the outcome of Acute myocardial infarction? Academic Medicine 75(12) 1191-1198.
- Partin, B. (2009). Consensus model for APRN regulation. Nurse Pract, 34(6), 8.
- Schroeter, K. (2008). Competence Literature Review. CCI.
- Scott Tilley, D.D. (2008). Competency in nursing: A concept analysis. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 39(2), 58-64.
- Swankin, D., LeBuhn, R.A., & Morrison, R. (2006). Implementing continuing competency requirements for health care practitioners. AARP.
- Thomas, M.B., Benbow, D.A., Ayars, V.D. (2010). Continued competency and board regulation: One state expands options. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 41(11), 524-528.
- Wendt, A., & Alexander, M. (2007). Toward a standardized and evidence-based continued competence assessment for Registered Nurses. JONA's Healthcare Law, Ethics, and Regulation, 9(3), 74-86.