NBCRNA is the certifying board for nation's more than 54,000 Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs). Located in Chicago, we are a nonprofit organization whose mission is to support patient safety by enhancing provider quality in the field of nurse anesthesia. Our team of unique and talented professionals, and the inspiring work they do, are essential to meeting the certification needs and expectations of NBCRNA's diverse community of CRNAs.
CEO Search Begins; Search Firm Named
Apply by January 8, 2021
November 9, 2020 - NBCRNA has begun its search for its next Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and has established a Search Committee that will lead the process of identifying the most qualified candidate to serve in this role. The CEO provides visionary leadership and oversight for the development and implementation of NBCRNA’s programs and initiatives to achieve the organization’s vision, mission, and strategic objectives.
The Search Committee has selected Sterling Martin Associates to support the CEO selection and transition process.
Key areas of focus include ensuring the functions of the organization are in alignment with the Board-approved strategic plan and budgetary parameters. The CEO presents projects or proposals for change directly to the NBCRNA Executive Committee or Board of Directors (Board) for approval. In addition, the CEO serves as the lead staff executive for the organization and the primary representative of the association to external stakeholders such as other industry partners. The CEO is required to be CRNA in order to serve in this capacity and perform as the top executive.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Provide executive leadership for the staff and Board to carry out the NBCRNA’s strategic plan to align the present and future needs with resources.
- Design and report appropriate metrics for the NBCRNA credentialing activities to allow the Board to evaluate progress toward achievement of the goals, objectives, and strategic initiatives.
- Oversee the financial status of the NBCRNA, including developing an annual budget, ensuring operations are within the approved budget, monitoring the budget, and ensuring sound financial controls are in place (including an annual audit by an independent certified public accountant).
- Review operating metrics (including finances), compare them to established benchmarks and initiate appropriate measures to correct variances.
- Execute contracts required in the ordinary course of business or, for contracts involving costs of greater than $50,000 or more, as authorized by the Board.
- Establish and maintain an effective system of communications throughout the organization.
- Provide inspirational leadership and continued development of professional and efficient staff (including the right to hire and fire), coordinate all staff activities, and provide or arrange for the provision of staff support for the NBCRNA and committees, task forces, etc.
- Empower staff to exercise their initiative and establish effective decision-making processes that achieve efficient work-flow, project development, and implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Administer the NBCRNA’s credentialing programs, develop ideas to improve the processes, and present such potential changes and ideas to the Board for approval.
- Implement in a timely and efficient manner all directives and resolutions of the Board or its designee(s).
- Submit reports as requested by the Board.
- Serve as custodian of all monies and other assets of the NBCRNA.
- Maintain liaisons with, and represent the NBCRNA to programs/institutions, the public, collaborating organizations, and participating/other interested organizations.
- Perform other such functions of a CEO of a not-for-profit certifying body as are not inconsistent with applicable laws, the Bylaws of the NBCRNA, and the directives of the Board.
- Carry out such additional duties as the Board may, from time to time, direct consistent with the CEO role.
- The position requires extensive travel with frequent weekend organizational activities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with this position.
NBCRNA has established a Search Committee that will lead the process of identifying the most qualified candidate to serve as the organization’s next CEO. The Search Committee has selected Sterling Martin Associates to support the CEO selection and transition process.
Applications are being accepted through January 8, 2021.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to David Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Sterling Martin Associates.
For More Information
Inquiries about the search timeline and process can be directed to Kevin Driscoll, DNP, MSN, BSN, CRNA (email@example.com), NBCRNA President and Search Committee Chair.
Read press release here.
NBCRNA Announces CEO Retirement and Succession Plan
September 2020 - After 15 Years Leading the NBCRNA, Karen Plaus, PhD, CRNA, FAAN, CAE, to Retire August 2021. The NBCRNA Board will initiate a search for the next leader of the organization, expected to begin November 2020.
Read the full press release here.
NBCRNA Names Chief Research Officer
August 2020 - NBCRNA is pleased to announce the appointment of Dennis Spence, PhD, CRNA, as its inaugural chief research officer (CRO). Dr. Spence will serve as a key executive responsible for leading and guiding the NBCRNA’s comprehensive strategic evaluation and research plan for the organization and its credentialing programs.The CRO is a new leadership position for the NBCRNA.
Read the full press release here.